Maximum ADU Floor Area:
600 sq.ft., not to exceed 50% of the existing living area of the existing primary dwelling
No. of Bedrooms:
1 bedroom max
Storage / Closet:
Kitchen / Bath:
Must contain water, sewer, and gas and/or electric utility connections. Must contain permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation.
ADU must be located on a lot with at least two parking spaces, one of which is covered, serving the primary dwelling. One additional parking space must be provided for the ADU, unless the ADU meets any of the following:
1) is located within ½ mile of a public transit station
2) is located within an architecturally and historically significant historic district
3) is contained within the existing space of the single-family residence OR an accessory structure
4) is located in an area where on-street parking permits are required but not offered to the occupant of the ADU
5) if there is a car share vehicle located within one block of the the ADU
Must conform to the setback requirements of the underlying residential zoning district, subject to the following:
1) A setback of 6’ from the side and rear lot lines for newly constructed detached ADUs and for an existing accessory structure expanded into an ADU, except that such an ADU is located closer than 5’ to the existing primary residence.
2) A setback of 5’ from the side and rear lot lines is required for an ADU built over a garage.
3) No setback is required for an existing garage that is converted into an ADU.
Maximum height for a single-story ADU is 15’. The maximum height for the total structure of an ADU build above a garage is 24’.
An ADU must not encroach upon the required front yard area.
Rear Yard Coverage:
Materials / Design:
Architectural features (windows styles, roof slopes, exterior materials, colors, appearance) and design must be compatible with the existing primary dwelling.
ADUs constructed within the existing space of the primary dwelling must be serviced by independent exterior access. Entrances to any ADUs must be screened from street view. Outside stairways serving the second story ADUs must not be constructed on any building elevation facing a public street.